Working to Inspire Safety Excellence
R&W is committed to achieving the highest standards of health, safety and welfare for all employees, clients, contractors and visitors, and for all others who may be affected by our business activities. The R&W Way recognises and rewards ideas and initiatives that make what we do safer.
We continually strive to prevent injury and ill health, and to improve our occupational health and safety management and performance. We strictly adhere to OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety standards as a minimum. We provide and maintain a safe and healthy working environment which has been recognised through many awards, demonstrating R&W’s high level of dedication to safety.
- Over 1000 near misses reported in last 12 months – over 50% resulted in positive interventions. Incentives for near miss reporting include charity donations and monthly vouchers
- Fortnightly near miss conference call to discuss significant reports, key trends and share best practice. Participants include directors, clients and other R&W representatives
- All supervisors are SSSTS qualified, all managers are SMSTS qualified
- 100% D&A testing at induction – random testing also undertaken; testing is carried out in-house
- 100% CSCS/CPCS/LANTRA qualified
- Body worn CCTV used by site operatives to add additional security and safety measures in difficult locations.
- Driving Highways England Area 3 initiatives. We hold the Chair of the Safety, Health and Environment Group
- Over £660 per staff member invested per year in both in-house and external training
- Automated external defibrillators installed in R&W main depots
- Presenting at clients’ health and safety conferences and seminars across the country
The R&W Way
Our corporate vision is to be the “employer and contractor of choice across of the south of England by 2021”. We will achieve this goal by collectively living our values and consistently applying an agreed set of behaviours that drive forward excellence in safety and have affective risk management at their heart.
Our values are:
- Be Safe
- Show respect
- Always Deliver
Our Golden Rules underpin our values:
Our vision, values and golden rules form part of our organisational ethos that we call “The R&W Way”. This encompasses how we do what we do, flows across the business in every direction and ensures that our safety and excellence-focused culture remains consistent across all our companies, business operations and all our sites and offices.
Effective communication helps to bring all our employees and other stakeholders together to drive forward the R&W Way. We emphasise and encourage continual improvement – propelled by staff and inspired by their ideas and suggestions. We reward staff for innovative thinking, for “going the extra mile” and for encouraging safety.
Regular reviews and feedback tell us where we need to do better and allow us to monitor the satisfaction levels of our people. This helps us maintain a highly motivated, driven and committed workforce who are highly productive, stay safe and deliver superb customer service every time.
Download our Health & Safety Policy